Wednesday, August 11, 2010 | By: Zachary Bartels

Free Resource!

If you regularly read this space, you are doubtless aware that my partner-in-crime Ted Kluck and I have started a small imprint, called Gut Check Press. We have released one book (you can learn more about it by clicking the small banner ad to your left), and have several others in the pipline, including:


  • Audio book, Facing Tyson: Fifteen Fighters, Fifteen Stories (due out next month, in conjunction with WAC Productions)

  • Younger, Restlesser, Reformeder, our follow-up to Kinda Christianity, wherein we satirize smug, self-important young Calvinists (read: us)

  • A cookbook, entitled Saucy Broad: A Culinary Manifesto of Hope

  • A book about predestination by a brilliant young Baptist minister (not me).

  • A book about Christian music by Ronnie Martin of the always-cutting-edge Joy Electric

  • Five other projects in various stages of completion, including one by me.
But all of those are going to cost you money to procure (unless you’re a blogger who wants to review them, in which case we’ll probably hook you up for free). That's why Gut Check Press is pleased to offer you a free resource (the first of many) to help keep your scholarly chops up.



We are proud to present the first offering from our new line, Gut Check Smackademic, Everybody Can Change: A Critical Cinematic, Philosophical, Socio-Political, Theological Literary Analysis of Sylvester Stallone’s Seminal Work, Rocky IV.

Click here to download this brilliant piece free of charge! And don’t forget to leave glowing feedback about the paper below.

7 reader comments:

Erin said...

I'm still trying to digest the profundity I found in that white paper, but here are a few gut reactions:

1. You bring out both the elegance and the absurdity of this incredible cinematic acheivement, and for that I say a heartfelt "Thank You."

2. This paper makes me want to watch all of the Rocky movies (I've thus far only seen Rocky IV, and that not completely willingly).

3. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Scott said...

Okay, I'll take the "montage of my life" challenge.

The soundtrack of my life right now is U2, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". Really. It's playing on the radio right now.

The background news show is, unprecedented wildfires in Russia. Put that story together with oil spill, Chinese flooding, and disintegration of the Greenland ice shelf, and we get a nice set of images for my montage.

Am I happy with this montage? Well, I'd prefer one that went "I'm Sitting On Top of the World" with a backdrop of news stories about economic expansion. But it's not always about me, is it.

Joshua Ottinger said...

my god it's beautiful. And the shooping of the boxing glove on the cover is high art. A tip of the hat to you sir! (I loved it btw)

Frank Turk said...

I wish I was 7 ft tall and ripped like Drago. I'll settle for destroying everything I hit.

Jacob said...

Hmm... was that offer to bloggers genuine, or more of your side-splitting sarcasm?

ZSB said...

Jacob,
With Kinda Christianity, we sent bloggers an elecronic copy of the book for review. We will likely do the same thing with Reformeder, but as we get more established, will probably provide actual review copies.

Jacob said...

Hmm... well, if you need a blogger to review, I'm one! Hahaha. Though who isn't nowadays.